Type of Dish Bread
- 7 g (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 260 ml (1 1/3 cups) warm milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) butter (softened)
- 750 g (3 1/2 cups) bread flour
- 1 egg white
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. Add the egg yolk, butter and 2 cups of bread flour; stir well to combine. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 35cm (14 inch) long cylinder. Braid the pieces together and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg white and water. Brush loaf with egg wash and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25, until golden.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 40 minutes.