Type of Dish Main Course
- 1 clove garlic
- 200 ml (1 cup) dry white wine
- 200 g (1/2 lb) shredded Swiss cheese
- 200 g (1/2 lb) shredded Gruyere cheese
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) corn starch
- 1 g (1/4 tsp) salt
- 1 g (1/4 tsp) ground nutmeg
- 450 g (1 lb) loaf French bread, cut into (1 inch cubes)
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) Kirsch liquor
- Grate all the cheese. Mix the corn starch with 4 Tbsp of water
- Peel the garlic clove, rub the clove all over the inside of the fondue pot, add wine to fondue pot and bring to a simmer. Add Swiss and Gruyere cheese (1/4 pound at a time). Stir after each addition of cheese until melted. Stir in corn starch and water mixture. When all the cheese has melted, stir in salt, nutmeg and Kirsch liquor. Serve with cubes of French bread. Place the cheese fondue pot in the middle of the table with a small candle underneath to keep it hot. Give each guest a small fork so they can dip bread into the fondue.
- Other good ingredients for dipping are boiled potatoes, mini tomatoes, blanched broccoli or cauliflower florets, cubes of ham, apples, pears and bell peppers.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 25 minutes.