Swedish Cucumber Salad
Type of Dish Salad
- 3 large cucumbers (total weight 1.8kg-4lbs)
- 8 g (1 1/2) teaspoons salt
- 70 ml (1/3 cup) white vinegar
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cider vinegar
- 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) fresh dill (chopped)
- Peel the cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise. Using a small teaspoon or a small melon baller, scoop out any seeds and watery center from each piece, forming a shallow groove lengthwise down the center. Using a sharp knife, slice the cucumbers crosswise as thinly as possible, ideally about 1/8-inch thick.
- Place the cucumbers in a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Using your hands, toss to combine the cucumbers with the salt and allow to stand for 1 hour.
- Squeeze with your hands to release any excess liquid and transfer to a medium nonreactive bowl.
- In another nonreactive mixing bowl, combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, and sugar, and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and add the chopped fresh dill. Stir to thoroughly combine and serve, or refrigerate overnight and serve cold.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 20 minutes.