Salmon Glavlax with Dill & Mustard Sauce
Type of Dish Appetiser
- 600 g (1 1/2 lbs) salmon fillet (Skin on)
- 80 g (2 1/2 oz) brown sugar
- 30 g (1 oz) rock salt
- 8 g (1/2 Tbsp) black pepper (coarsely ground)
- 1 bunch fresh dill (for marinade)
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) brandy
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) honey
- 120 g (1/2 cup) mayonnaise
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) dijon mustard
- 5 g (1 tsp) fresh dill (chopped for sauce)
- 5 g (1tsp) honey
- 8 g (1/2 Tbsp) sugar
- 5 g (1 tsp) brandy
- 10 ml (2 tsp) white wine vinegar
- to taste black pepper
- To marinade salmon, mix marinade ingredients (brown sugar, rock salt, black pepper, fresh dill, brandy,and honey) together in a bowl. Spread the Marinade all over the salmon. Wrap the salmon and marinade up with tinfoil, then wrap once more with cling film. Put in a tray and refrigerate for 3 days.
- To make the sauce mix (mayonnaise, dijon mustard, fresh dill, honey, sugar, brandy, white wine vinegar and black pepper) together and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before you use, this will allow the flavors to develop.
- This makes a great appetizer. A classic version does not include Honey and Brandy, but I discovered this recipe many years back and I think this adds depth to the flavor. Gravlax goes well with mixed leaf salad and rye bread.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.