Creamy Lobster Bisque with Chives
Type of Dish Soup
- 2 whole live lobsters (500g-1 1/4 lbs each)
- 1/4 bottle dry white wine
- 1 lt (1 quart) light fish stock
- 1 bouquet garni (see step one below)
- 50 ml olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1/2 leak (chopped)
- 1 carrot
- 50 g rice
- 50 ml brandy
- 6 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 40 g tomato paste
- 600 ml double cream
- to taste sea salt
- to taste white pepper
- 150 g lobster meat (chopped for garnish)
- 1/2 bunch chives (chopped for garnish)
- To make a bouquet garni use thyme, bay leaf, parsley stalks, leek and tarragon. Make a bundle with the leek on the outside and tie it up with string.
- Chop the live lobsters into pieces, in a large pot sauté in olive oil and butter. Add the vegetables and tomato pure. Sauté for 25 minutes.
- Add brandy and wine reduce by half, add white wine reduce by half.
- Add fish stock, Cream and rice cook for one hour. Process to a purée with a heavy duty a food processor. If your machine is not powerful enough then strain the soup, reserve the shells (let them cool down) and pound them to the finest pure possible in a large pestle and mortar and add them back to the soup base.
- Once the soup is in a puree bring it back up to a simmer and then pass through a course conical sieve (press firmly with a ladle to squeeze all the liquid out). Next pass the soup through a fine conical sieve.
- When ready to serve soup, reheat, add a little more cream and check seasoning. Add garnish (lobster meat and chopped chives). Serve hot with crispy French bread.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 1 hour.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 1 hour and 30 minutes.