French Canadian Meat Tourtiere
Type of Dish Main Course
- 450 g (1 lb) ground pork
- 450 g (1 lb) ground beef
- 100 g (½ cup) onion (finely chopped)
- 150 ml (¾ cup) water
- 1 g (¼ Tbsp) salt
- 1 g (¼ tsp) pepper
- 1 g (¼ tsp) allspice
- 1 g (¼ tsp) ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch chicken bouillon powder
- 450 g (1 lb) savoury pastry
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). In a large pot, mix the pork, beef, onion, and water. Season with salt, pepper, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, and chicken seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.
- Drain liquid from pot into a bowl. Transfer remaining meat mixture to a separate bowl and chill until ready to use. Place bowl with liquid in the refrigerator and chill 1 hour, or until fat has congealed on the surface. Scrape and discard fat from the chilled liquid.
- Spoon the meat mixture into pie crusts. Add 1 Tbsp of reserved liquid to the pie. Place a sheet of pastry on top of pie and pinch edges to seal. Cut slits in top crust so steam can escape.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 50 minutes. Serve immediately. Many people use ketchup as a condiment, though the tourtière is also often eaten with maple syrup, molasses, or mango chutney.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 45 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 45 minutes.