Manhattan Clam Chowder
Type of Dish Soup
- 2.7 kg (6 lbs) large cherrystone clams (scrubbed and rinsed)
- 4 slices smoked bacon (cut into lardons)
- 2 onion (diced)
- 180 g (1 cup) celery (diced)
- 180 g (1 cup) red bell pepper (diced)
- 150 g (3/4 cup )carrot diced (diced)
- 20 g (1 ½ Tbsp) garlic (crushed)
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 g (1½ tsp) dry oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 g (½ tsp) pink pepper (cracked)
- 300 g (¾ lbs) potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 400 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 400 g (2 cups) tomatoes (peeled seeded and chopped)
- 1/4 bunch Italian parsley (chopped)
- to taste sea salt
- to taste Black pepper
- In a large stockpot bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add clams, cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes until most of the clams open (time will depend on size and type of clam). Transfer clams to a large bowl or baking dish and strain broth through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. (should have about 6 cups of clam broth. If not, add enough water to bring the volume up to 6 cups.)
- Remove clams from their shells and chop into 1/2-inch pieces. Set clams and broth aside.
- In a large heavy pot add bacon and sauté until golden add onions, celery, bell pepper and carrots and cook until vegetables are soft but not colored.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, oregano, thyme and crushed pink pepper, cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add potatoes, clam broth, and chicken stock and bring to a boil, covered. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and continue to cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat add sliced clams and parsley, season with pepper and salt, if necessary. Allow chowder to sit for up to 1 hour to allow the flavour to develop
- Reheat slowly over medium flame, (Do not allow to boil). Serve hot
Preparation Time is approxmiately 40 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 1 hour.