Miso Soup with Tofu, Wakame & Spring Onions
Type of Dish Soup
- 60-80 g (2 oz) inaka miso
- 1 lt (1 quart) bonito stock (dashi)
- 1/2 block cotton tofu (momen tofu)
- 8 g (1/4 oz) dry wakame seaweed
- 8 g (1/4 oz) spring onions (finely chopped)
- 1 lt (1 quart) water (to make dashi)
- 30 g (1 oz) bonito flakes (katsuo bushi)
- 6 cm kelp seaweed (konbu)
- To make dashi, put water and kelp in a pot and slowly bring to a simmer, add bonito flakes and simmer on low for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from stove and leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Pass through a fine sieve.
- Cut tofu into 1 cm cubes, put tofu, spring onions and wakame into the serving bowls. Bring the dashi to a simmer and whisk in the miso. Pour the hot miso soup into the serving bowls.
- Inaka is slightly yellow is color and is a bit salty, on the other hand Saikyo miso is white and rather sweet. Aka miso is red in color and has a bitter edge. If you try the recipe above you may want to adjust the amount of miso, add it little by little and taste until you achieve the taste you want. It is also good idea to blend 2 types of miso. I like 5 parts Inaka / 1 part Saikyo.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 20 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 25 minutes.