Spicy Beef Pho with Rice Noodles
Type of Dish Soup
- 200 g (½ lb) rice noodles (blanched)
- 200 g (½ lb) fillet of beef (thinly Sliced on machine/2mm)
- 120 g (¼ lb) bean sprouts
- 30 g (1 oz) mint, coriander, basil & spring onion (Mixed)
- 4 piece lime wedge (for garnish)
- 1 red chili (chopped for garnish)
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) hoisin sauce
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) sriracha chili sauce or (sambal oelek)
- 1.5 lt (1½ quart) beef broth (recipe below)
- Warm up rice noodles and add to serving bowls, put raw sliced beef on top, pour boiling hot soup on top. Top with sautéed bean sprouts and herbs. Serve the garnish on the side, lime wedges, chopped chili and (serve hoisin sauce in dipping cups with a teaspoon). Guests can add the garnishes to the soup to suit their taste.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 1 hour.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 6 hours.
Spicy Beef Broth
- 2.5 lt (2 ½ quarts) beef stock (recipe below)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 g ginger
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 g (¼ tsp) coriander seeds
- 2 g (¼ tsp) fennel seeds
- 1 star anise
- 2 (¼ tsp) cardamon pods
- 1/2 ½ red chili
- to taste fish sauce (for seasoning)
- to taste brown sugar (for seasoning)
- to taste sea salt (for seasoning)
- to taste lime juice (for seasoning)
- Add spiced to beef stock and simmer for 1 hour, pass through a sieve and return to pot. Taste and check the seasoning if its too spicy, add some plain beef stock to taste. When the spice level is balanced add the seasoning ingredients to taste.
- 2.5 kg beef bones (Blanched & rinsed)
- 10 lt water
- 2 large carrot (chopped)
- 2 large onions (cut in half)
- Simmer bones on low heat for 8 hours, skim impurities from surface, top up with water if it reduces too much. When ready pass through a fine sieve.