North African style Egg Ratatouille (Chakchouka)
Type of Dish Breakfast
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) olive oil
- 10 g (¾ Tbsp) sweet paprika powder
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 Tomatoes (peeled, seeded and diced)
- 2 green bell peppers (diced)
- 2 red bell peppers (diced)
- 90 ml (½ cup) water
- to taste salt
- to taste black pepper
- 4 large free-range eggs
- Heat oil in a pot over medium flame. Add paprika and cook, stir it well. Cook for about 20 seconds to slightly to colour the oil. Add garlic and onions, sauté until the onions are translucent and sweet but with no colour, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and sauté. next add tomato and cook for about 5 minutes. Add water, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 12 minutes. Add more water as needed to keep it from drying out.
- Take a spoon to make four small holes in the simmering sauce to hold the eggs. Crack open the eggs and place them into the small holes that you've just made. Cover the pot and simmer for about 8 minutes until eggs are lightly set.
- Serve with pita, crusty bread or rice if you like.
- If you like a more aromatic version try adding 1 tsp of cumin seed to the hot oil for about 20 seconds just before you put the paprika. You can also add some ground coriander along with the onion. If you like it spicy put some harissa paste in with the onions. some versions include spicy lamb sausage (merguez sausage). Chopped eggplant or black olives would also be a welcome addition. Sprinkle the top of the cooked dish with chopped parsley or coriander leaves.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.