Baked Anchovies with Garlic & Tomato (Firinda Hamsi)
Type of Dish Appetiser
- 450 g (1 lb) fresh anchovies (washed and drained)
- 100 ml (½ cup) water
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 bunch parsley (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- to taste black pepper
- to taste sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F). Cut heads off the anchovies and gut them, wash under cold water and drain. Season with salt and pepper drizzle with half the olive oil. Bake at 200°C (390°F) for 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a skillet sauté onions and garlic with remaining olive oil. Add tomatoes, water, season with salt and pepper, cook for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat, add lemon juice. Reduce oven to 150°C (300°F). Remove anchovies from oven. Pour tomato sauce over anchovies. Return to oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- serve hot with rice and salad.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 25 minutes.