Tunisian Garlic and Chickpea Soup
Type of Dish Soup
- 120 ml (8 Tbsp) olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 600 g (3 cups) chickpeas (cooked)
- 2.3 lt (2 ½ quarts) water
- 5 g (1 tsp) cumin
- 5 g (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 6 sticks celery (chopped)
- 20 ml (1 ¼ Tbsp) lemon
- 50 g (4 Tbsp) coriander (chopped)
- to taste sea salt
- to taste black pepper
- Heat half the olive oil in a large pot add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the drained chickpeas, water, cumin and ground coriander. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until tender.
- In a separate pan add remaining oil, add the vegetables, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes.
- Stir the vegetable mixture into the chickpeas. Transfer half the soup to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Return the purée to the pan
- Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into warm bowls and sprinkle with the chopped fresh coriander and a little virgin olive oil.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 1 hour.