Chicken and raisin tagine
"tagine djaaj ma zbib" This tagine has a balance of sweetness and salt. Its one of my favourites. If you like you can add toasted almonds to this tagine in the last few minutes of cooking. The butter used in this recipe is called "smen" this is a Moroccan style fermented butter. If you can't find smen then use unsalted butter.
Type of Dish Main Course
- 500 g chicken
- 3 g (1 tsp) salt
- 6 g (1 1/2 tsp) ground ginger
- 6 g (1 1/2 tsp) ground turmeric
- 6 g (1 1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 3 g (¾ tsp) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 piece preserved lemon (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 medium onion
- 20 g butter (smen)
- 20 ml olive oil
- a pinch saffron
- 30 g white raisins
- 1 piece red chili (whole)
- 18 g sugar
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander
- First chop the chicken into large chunks (leaving it on the bone). Put the raisins in a bowl with some warm water and leave them for 30 minutes to soften.
- Make the marinade in a large bowl. Add salt, 2 tsp of cinnamon (keep one tsp aside). add ginger, turmeric, black pepper, preserved lemon, 1/2 onion finely chopped, garlic, half bunch coriander chopped, 100ml (1/2 cup water) and butter.
- Mix the spices well, add chicken and marinade for 2 hours.
- Slice the remaining onions thinly. arrange the chicken in a tagine. Pile the onions on top of the chicken. Drizzle the marinade over the onions. drizzle olive oil over the onions. add 150ml of water (3/4 cup).
- Place the whole red chili on top, cover the tagine and cook over a low flame for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Add the raisins in the last 20 to 30 minutes. At the same time sprinkle sugar and cinnamon all over. Toast the saffron in a dry pan over medium heat. Sprinkle the saffron over the top. Replace the lid and continue to cook.
- Towards the end of the cooking time reduce the sauce down until a thick sauce remains. Chop the remaining half bunch of coriander and sprinkle over the top at the last minute. Serve hot with bread and mint tea.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 50 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 2 hours and 30 minutes.