Zaalouk is a Moroccan style cooked aubergine salad. It's kind of similar to a Lebanese babaganoush however zaalouk has the addition of tomato and a bit more spices. I must also mention that babaganoush has a bit of yogurt and tahini and zaalouk does not.
Type of Dish appetizer
- 2 medium aubergine
- 3 medium tomato
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 g (1 Tbsp) coriander
- 3 g (1 Tbsp) parsley
- 3 g (1 tsp) paprika powder
- 3 g (1 tsp) cumin
- to taste sea salt
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 1 medium lemon (juiced)
- Before I even start to talk about the method..... Zaalouk... Zaalouk...Zaalouk... If I had at least 1000 amazing memories in my exciting life then I'm sure also that I could probably give you 1000 different ways to make zaalouk.... one of the traditional methods is to boil the aubergine, some folk cook the aubergine whole in the oven first... some dice the them and sauté in a pan... after tasting many variations here is the recipe that I now use.
- Light a real charcoal BBQ, place the whole aubergines over charcoal and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until they are soft and they completely collapse.
- Finely dice the tomato and onion.
- add olive oil, garlic and onion to a hot fry pan. Cook on low until the onion is tender.
- add the tomato, reduce heat and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard the skin from the cooked aubergine, chop it. Add the chopped aubergine and the spices to the pan and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- add lemon juice, coriander and parsley in the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking
- leave to cool, serve with bread.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.