Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Chickpeas & Butternut Squash
Type of Dish Main Course
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) olive oil
- 2 350g (3/4 lb) chickens, on the bone, cut into chunks
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 small butternut squash (peeled and chopped)
- 300 g (3/4 lb) cooked chickpeas
- 1 carrot (peeled and chopped)
- 450 g (1 lb) diced tomatoes with juice
- 500 ml (2 ½ cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) sugar
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) lemon juice
- to taste sea salt
- 5 g (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 g (1/2 tsp) ginger
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 g (1/2 tsp) turmeric
- 5 g (1 tsp) fresh coriander (chopped)
- 5 g (1 tsp) fresh parsley (chopped)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook the chicken, onion, and garlic about 15 minutes, until browned.
- Add the squash, chickpeas, carrot, tomatoes, stock, sugar, and lemon juice into the skillet. Season with salt and spices. Bring the mixture to a simmer, and continue cooking 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Serve with Couscous
- Optional: you may also add a handful of green olives and one chopped preserved lemon to this dish, if you do so then add halfway through the cooking time.
- add the fresh herbs last.
- You may also like to garnish the finished dish with some roasted cherry tomatoes and some whole parsley leaves.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 50 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 1 hour and 30 minutes.