Rabbit braised in Tomato, Wine and Rosemary Sauce
Type of Dish Main Course
- 30 ml (2 tbsp)?olive oil
- 1.5 kg ?(3 ½ lbs) rabbit pieces (2 small rabbits)
- 1 large ? onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 800 g (2 lbs) tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 100 ml (1/2 cup)?white wine
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 ?bay leaves
- 15 ml (1 tbsp)?olive oil
- 100 g (1/4 lb)?carrots (finely diced)
- 100 g (1/4 lb)?mushrooms (finely sliced)
- 2 g (¼ tsp)?curry powder
- 400 ml (2 cups)?white rice
- to taste sea salt
- to taste white pepper
- Season the rabbit with salt and pepper, place in a hot sauté with the olive oil. Cook, in batches, for 3–4 minutes, turning frequently, until evenly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3–4 minutes until the onion is soft. Add tomato, herbs and wine, and bring to the simmer. Add the rabbit back to the pan, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour until tender. Remove the lid and simmer for a further 15 minutes until the meat is falling from the bones and the sauce is slightly reduced. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a medium-size saucepan. Add the carrots, mushrooms and curry powder, and cook for 1–2 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add the rice to the pan with 2 tablespoons of water and cook for a further 1 minute until heated through. Season to taste. Serve rabbit with tomato and wine sauce and rice to the side.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 45 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 1 hour and 30 minutes.