Squid Salad with Lemon and Virgin Oil (Insalata di Calamare)
Type of Dish Salad
- 450 g (1 lb) squid rings (raw)
- 120 g (¼ lb) peeled cooked prawns
- 90 g (3 ounces) mussels (no shell/steamed)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 1/2 fresh fennel (sliced)
- 1 celery heart (sliced)
- 8 small button mushrooms (Halved)
- 8 artichoke hearts preserved in Oil (halved)
- 8 black olives
- 8 green olives
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 5 g (1 Tsp) coriander seeds
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- to taste salt
- to taste black pepper
- 1 glass white wine
- Cook the mushrooms in a covered pot with the wine, bay leaf, coriander and a little salt and pepper.
- To cook the squid bring up to a simmer starting from cold salted water, just as the water begins to simmer it will be done. Strain and leave to cool (spread out on a large tray, drizzle with a little olive oil).
- When the squid has cooled to room temperature, mix with all the remaining ingredients and serve.
- This salad, if refrigerated should keep for 2 to 3 days. Goes well as an appetizer or part of a buffet. Try it with focaccia bread and your favorite dry white wine.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 1 hour.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 20 minutes.