Middle Eastern style Rice with Black Beans and Chickpeas
Type of Dish Main Course
- 15 ml (1Tbsp) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 200 g (1 cup) uncooked basmati rice
- 10 g (2 tsp) ground cumin
- 10 g (2 tsp) ground coriander
- 5 g (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 5 g (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 900 ml (1 quart) chicken stock
- 600 g (1½ lbs) ground turkey
- 900 g (2 lbs) cooked chickpeas
- 900 g (2 lbs) black beans
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (chopped)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley (chopped)
- 50 g (¼ cup) pine nuts
- to taste sea salt
- to taste black pepper (freshly ground)
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Stir in rice, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place the turkey in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Mix cooked turkey, garbanzo beans, black beans, cilantro, parsley, and pine nuts into the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 40 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 40 minutes.