Tzatziki, as a Greek dish seems to be long going through a lot of identity and geographical crisis with respect to its origin and its preparation type. Wiki claims that tzatziki is a Greek dish of Turkish origin, and the Greek word is derived from a Turkish word 'Cac?k' which means a chutney and has the same method of preparation.
Type of Dish Appetiser
- 450 g (1 lb) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cucumbers (peeled, seeded and grated)
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 12 g (1 Tbsp) chopped fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- to taste sea salt
- to taste black pepper
- Half peel the cucumber and leave some skin remaining. Grate on the course side of a grater. Put the grated cucumber in a bowl add a pinch of salt, mix well and leave for 10 minutes. Squeeze the water out of the cucumber.
- In a bowl mix the yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and garlic until well combined. Transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour for best flavor. In Cyprus the recipe is almost the same however they prefer to use mint rather than dill.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 20 minutes.