The history of Baklava is as diverse as the number of ways it is prepared and the number of countries that claim its origins. Is it generally accepted that Baklava came to us from the Assyrians at around 8th century B.C. Layering nuts with a simple unleavened flat bread and drenched with honey. As only the wealthy of the time can afford this simple luxury, baklava was held as a special dessert for those in high positions of society such as monarchs and kings. In Turkey, to this day, one can hear a common expression: "I am not rich enough to eat Baklava every day".
Type of Dish pastry
- 450 g (1 lb) pack filo pastry
- 450 g (1 lb) pistachio (chopped)
- 200 g (½ lb) butter (melted)
- 5 g (1 tsp) cinnamon powder
- 200 ml (1 cup) water
- 200 g ?(½ lb) sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 200 g (½ cup) honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Butter the bottoms and sides of a 33cm x 22cm (9 x 13 inch) pan.
- Chop nuts and toss with cinnamon. Set aside. Unroll filo pastry. Cut pastry in half to fit pan. Cover filo with a damp cloth to keep it from drying out as you work. Place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle 2 to 3 Tbsp of chopped nuts on top. Top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go. The top layer should be about 6 to 8 sheets deep.
- Using a sharp knife cut diamond shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. You may cut into 4 long rows the make diagonal cuts. Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp. While baklava is baking make the syrup. Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. Leave to cool. Leave it uncovered as it gets soggy if it is wrapped up.
- There are many variations of this recipe and sometimes other nuts are used. You may like to try a mix of Walnut, Pistachio and Hazelnut for the same recipe. Some people add some rose water to the syrup.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 40 minutes.