Egyptian style Lentils, Pasta and Rice (Koshari)
Type of Dish main Course
- 150 g (¾ cup) brown lentils
- 800 ml (4 cups) water
- 150 g (¾ cup) uncooked long grain rice
- 200 g (1 cup) elbow macaroni
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 450 g (1 lb) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 g (¼ tsp) red chili flakes
- to taste sea salt
- Add lentils to water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 25 minutes. Add the rice to lentils, and continue to simmer for an additional 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Fill a separate saucepan with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is lightly browned. Add tomato, dry chili, salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add the pasta, rice and lentils to the spicy tomato sauce. Mix well and serve hot.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 20 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 40 minutes.