Aromatic Egyptian Dukkah Spice Mix
Type of Dish Spice Mix
- 150 g (¾ cup) cup hazelnuts
- 100 g (½ cup) sesame seeds
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) coriander seeds
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) cumin seeds
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) freshly ground black pepper
- 5 g (1 tsp) sea salt
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F). Put hazelnuts on a baking sheet, bake for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant. While the nuts are still hot, pour them onto a tea towel. Fold the towel over them to cover, and rub vigorously to remove the skins. Set aside to cool.
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds until light golden brown. Pour into a medium bowl as soon as they are done so they will not continue toasting. In the same skillet, toast the coriander and cumin seeds while shaking the pan or stirring occasionally until they become aromatic but careful not to burn them. Transfer to a food processor. Process until finely ground, add to the sesame seeds.
- Place the cooled hazelnuts into the food processor, and process until finely ground. Stir into the bowl with the spices. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
- This spice mixture can be mixed with olive oil and spread onto pita bread. toast the pita bread on a BBQ or in the oven. served the pita bread as is or with yogurt or any variety of vegetable dips.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 20 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.