Croatian Mushroom and Marjoram Soup with Sour Cream
Type of Dish Soup
- 200 g (½ lb) wild mushrooms
- 15 g (1Tbsp) lard (or butter)
- 100 g (¼ lb) bacon
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 1 potato (fine dice)
- 1 lt (4 cups) Light chicken stock or water
- 5 g (1 tsp) sea salt
- 5 g (1 tsp) black pepper (freshly ground)
- 3 g (½ tsp) marjoram
- 3 g (½ tsp) paprika
- 8 (½ Tbsp) plain flour
- 5 g (1 tsp) fresh parsley (chopped)
- 100 g (¼ lb) sour cream
- If using dried mushrooms, soak them in cold water first for 1 hour. Keep the soaking liquid and add it to the soup, as it will have plenty of flavour. Before using the mushroom soaking liquid pass it through cheesecloth to remove any sand. Always check wild mushrooms carefully for sand and either wipe them with a cloth or wash if necessary.
- Sauté onion and bacon with lard until it is soft. Add flour and sauté until the flour is brown, add a pinch of paprika and after 30 seconds add cold water or stock and stir well to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Bring to a simmer, add mushrooms, salt, pepper and potato and marjoram. Cook covered with a lid for about 1 hour on low heat.
- At the end add sour cream and chopped parsley. Serve with crispy bread and dry white wine.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 1 hour.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 1 hour.