Bosnian style Beef Hot Pot (Bosanski Lonac)
Type of Dish Main Course
- 1 kg (2½ lbs) beef brisket or topside
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 cabbage (coarsely chopped)
- 3 large carrots (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 4 large tomatoes (cut up in wedges)
- 2 onions (large dice)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 green bell peppers (large dice)
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (2 Tbsp) white wine vinegar
- to taste sea salt
- to taste black pepper (freshly ground)
- 200 ml (1 cup) water
- 180 ml 180ml (1 glass) dry white wine
- 50 g (3 Tbsp) chopped spring onions
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) fresh parsley (chopped)
- Prepare all the vegetables.
- Cut meat into bite sized pieces. Season beef with salt and pepper and sauté at high temperature in a frying pan until well coloured on all sides.
- Transfer the beef to a pot, add the water, cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook at medium to low heat for 2 to 2½ hours until the beef is tender.
- In a sauté pan cook all the vegetables and garlic in olive oil at medium temperature until soft. Add the white wine and mix well.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the pot with the beef, adjust the seasoning with slat and pepper, add the vinegar. Cover the pot with a lid and cook at low temperature for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopped spring onions and parsley on top.
- Serve with crusty bread, mixed leaf salad and a nice glass dry red wine. If you like you can add sweet paprika powder to this recipe. The same recipe works very well with lamb also.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 40 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 3 hours.