Bosnian Style Chicken Casserole
Type of Dish Main Course
- 1 whole chicken (cut into 8 pieces)
- 1 bunch spring onions (chopped)
- 8 mushrooms (halved)
- 2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 sticks celery (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) butter
- 180 ml (1 glass) dry white wine
- 8 g (¾ Tbsp) chili powder
- 5 g (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 5 g (1 tsp) dried basil
- 20 g (1½ Tbsp) fresh parsley
- 1 1 bay leaf
- to taste to taste salt
- to taste to taste pepper
- 70 g (¾ cup) flour
- 50 ml (¼ cup) fresh lemon juice
- 4 large tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and dust lightly with the flour. In a large casserole heat the oil, add the chicken and butter. Colour the chicken on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside
- Add spring onions, bell pepper, celery, mushrooms and garlic to the casserole and sauté over medium heat for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato and dry herbs, mix well and return the chicken to the pot. Add the white wine and one bay leaf, cover with a tightly fitting lid, place in a pre-heated oven at 170-180°C and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 140°C add the lemon juice and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven scatter the chopped fresh parsley on top and serve hot, directly from the casserole dish at the table along with Steamed rice or Boiled potatoes
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 1 hour.