Baked Lamb Leg with Yogurt and Rice (Tavë Kosi)
Tavë Kosi is a national dish of Albania. Lamb and rice are baked in a garlic yogurt sauce... Bon appetite!
Type of Dish Main
- 800 g (2 lbs) lamb leg (large dice)
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) butter
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 45 g (3 Tbsp) rice
- to taste Sea salt
- to taste black pepper
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) plain flour
- 50 g (4 Tbsp) unsalted butter
- 800 g (2 lbs) full fat Greek yogurt
- 4 each large free-range eggs
- Cut lamb into large dice (about 24 pieces). Season with salt and black pepper, and bake with garlic and 30g butter in oven at 180° C for 20 minutes, with a spoon baste the meat from time to time.
- Add cooked rice and reduce oven to 150°C.
- Cook butter and flour in a saucepan for 3 to 4 minutes, add yogurt, salt, pepper. Mix well at medium heat for 5 minutes. and eggs.
- Add sauce to baking pan, mix with the lamb pieces. Put the tray in the oven and bake at 160°C for about 45 minutes. Serve hot.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 45 minutes.