Albanian Spinach Pie (Byrek me spinaq)
The interesting thing is that throughout the Mediterranean region you will find many similar versions for example Greek has almost the same thing... I like to serve this in the summertime with a tomato salad and a Moroccan tea.
- 180 ml (1 cup) olive oil
- 1 ½ packets Filo Pastry (36 Sheets)
- 450 g spinach (chopped)
- 180 g (1 cup) feta cheese (diced)
- 1 bunch spring onions (chopped)
- 2 eggs
- to taste sea salt
- to tsate black pepper
- Sauté chopped onion in olive oil until soft (about 2 or 3 minutes), add the spinach and sauté for 1 minute more until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Add feta, eggs, salt and pepper to the spinach.
- Brush the baking tray with 10ml (¾ Tbsp) of olive oil. Lay one sheet of filo in the tray, brush lightly with oil, lay another sheet on top. Repeat this process until 18 layers have bean used. Spoon the spinach mixture onto the pastry.
- Layer another 18 layers of pastry on top. As before brush each layer lightly with olive oil.
- Put the tray in the fridge for 30 to minutes to chill.
- Remove from fridge and cut diamond shapes with a knife into the pastry. To do this, cut straight down through the pastry diagonally. The cut should go right through to the bottom of the tray. Make 5cm (2 inches) between each cut.
- Bake at 170°C to 180°C for 45 minutes.
- To serve: Serve hot with mixed leaf salad and prune compote and lemon wedges.