Carrot Ice Cream with Caramelized Chestnuts
Type of Dish Dessert
- 250 g (1/2 lb) carrots
- 300 ml (10fl oz) milk
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) cream
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salad oil
- 70 g (2.5 oz) egg yolks
- 70 g (2.5 oz) sugar (for ice cream)
- 150 g (1/3 lb) sugar (for sauce)
- 30 g water (for sauce)
- 30 g cream (for sauce)
- 5 g fresh ginger (grated, for sauce)
- 1 carrot (for garnish)
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 20 maroon glace (Chestnuts)
- Peel the carrots and slice them into about 1cm rounds. On low heat saute carrots in salad oil for 30 to 35 minutes until soft and sweet. Puree the carrots in a kitchen mixer until a smooth paste (reserve). Mix the cream and milk together and heat to boiling point in a thick based pot. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl. Pour the hot milk and cream into the egg yolk and mix well. Return this ice cream base to the Pot and cook on low heat stirring constantly with wooden spoon. Cook until custard consistency is just enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. When its ready quickly pass through a fine sieve. Add the carrot puree, mix well and leave to cool. churn in an ice cream machine.
- Take care when you cook the ice cream base as it can overcook very easily. You may like to cook it over a hot water bath this is the safe approach. If you have experience and feel confident you can do over direct flame. Get the bowl and sieve ready before you cook the ice cream base and have them close to hand as the most common mistake the beginner always makes is the 10 to 15 seconds it takes to run for the bowl and sieve and the base will be overcooked and you will have to start all over again.
- To make the Sauce, caramelize sugar in a small thick-based saucepan, stop the caramel with water add the cream and ginger. Reduce slightly and reserve.
- To make the carrot crisp garnish, peel one Carrot into thin long strips with a vegetable peeler. Boil up 150g of sugar with 150ml of water, add the carrot strips to the hot sugar syrup and leave for 30 minutes. Drain the carrot, lay the carrot strips flat on a tray and dry in an oven at 80°C for 3 to 4 hours.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 25 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 40 minutes.