Black Pepper Oysters with Eggplant & Mozzarella
Type of Dish Seafood
- 250 g (1/2 lb) Raw oysters (out of shell weight)
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) light olive oil (Filippo Berio)
- 20 ml (1 1/2 Tbsp) Soy sauce (Kikkoman)
- 8 g (1/2 Tbsp) Sugar
- 20 ml (1 1/2 Tbsp) Sake (Ozeki)
- 3 g (1/2 tsp) Black pepper (coarsely ground)
- 20 Slices eggplant (1 1/2 cm thick)
- to taste sea salt
- to taste black pepper
- 100 g (1/4 lb) mozzarella cheese
- 20 spicy potato chips
- In a hot pan saute oysters with black pepper and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil for 10 seconds. Add soy, sugar, oyster juices and the sake. Simmer for 30 seconds. Remove oysters from the pan but leave the sauce in the pan to reduce. Cook until only 1/4 of the sauce remains. Return oysters to the sauce and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer oysters and the sauce to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Marinate sliced eggplant with 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook eggplant slices over a charcoal BBQ. When eggplant is ready top each slice with a good pinch of mozzarella cheese, move them to the edge of the grill and allow the cheese to melt. Warm up the oysters on the BBQ. Place one warmed oyster on top of each cheesy eggplant slice. To finish place each eggplant slice on top of chili flavored potato chips and eat straight away.
- Its very important that you do not throw away the oyster juice. This is all the liquid that comes from inside the oysters when they are opened. This will add a lot of oyster flavor to the sauce.
- I suggest to serve as a canape wilt cold beer or white wine at the beginning of a BBQ party...kinda like a BBQ amuse bouche or if it suits your needs then perhaps just as a beer snack!!
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.