Spicy Whole BBQ Pineapple with Caramel and Sour Cream
Type of Dish Dessert
- 1 pineapple (peeled)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 45 g (3Tbsp) butter
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) dark rum
- 3 star anise (crushed)
- 5 g (1tsp) Sichuan Pepper
- 1 1/2 sticks cinnamon
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 1 small red chili (chopped)
- 30 g (2Tbsp) pistachio nuts (chopped)
- 200 g sugar (for Caramel)
- Place the peeled pineapple on top of a large piece of tin foil. Add the butter, spices, rum and a generous pinch of sugar. Wrap the pineapple up in the tin foil and take care that it is well sealed so it won’t leek. Place on to of a hot BBQ and move it around from time to time so it doesn't burn. Roast it for 2 to 3 hours until it is soft and sweet. The first 30 to 40 minutes should be at high temperature and directly on the coals, after that move it to the edge and reduce temperature a little. If your not sure how its going you can carefully open the parcel to check and if need be wrap it again and continue to cook.
- To make the caramel sauce add the 200g sugar to a thick based pan over high heat. Let the sugar melt and watch it carefully as the color gradually gets darker and darker, as soon as it becomes a deep brown color add 2 to 3 Tbsp cold water to stop the caramel, allow the caramel to melt in the water by cooking at low flame for a few minutes.
- When pineapple is ready bring it to the table and unwrap the parcel in front of your geusts. Place pineapple on a chopping board and slice for your geusts. Arrange on plates and garnish with sour cream and caramel sauce.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 20 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 2 hours.