Vietnamese Spring Rolls
Type of Dish main Course
- 1 pack rice paper sheets
- 200 g (½ lb) cooked chicken
- 200 g (½ lb) cooked small shrimp (peeled, deveined, halved)
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves
- 1 head Lettuce (washed)
- 100 cucumber (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 100 g (1 cup) fresh bean sprouts
- 1 pack vermicelli rice noodles (cooked)
- to taste hoisin sauce
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) chopped peanuts
- 10 ml (2 tsp) nuoc nam (fish sauce)
- Precook shrimp and chicken, cook rice noodles. Prepare all vegetables and herbs.
- Dip a sheet of rice paper wrapper into warm water for 20 to 30 seconds to soften, shake off the water, lay it flat on the table, on one edge, lay a small handful of noodles, a few strips of chicken, some shrimp, chopped peanuts, coriander, mint leaves, lettuce leaf, cucumber strips and bean sprouts.
- Roll up to form a spring roll shape tucking in the sides, careful not to roll too tightly or with too much stuffing or the rolls will split and break.
- Serve with two dipping sauces (Hoi sin and nuoc mam). If you like you can dilute the nuoc mam with some lime juice. Serve immediately while fresh (they don’t keep well) make sure you use Vietnamese rice paper as normal spring roll pastry is not the same and won’t work.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 20 minutes.