Noodles with Spicy Beef Sauce (Mee Rebus)
Type of Dish main Course
- 250 g (9 oz) beef shin
- 1.2 lt (2.5 pints) chicken stock
- 50 g (3 Tbsp) galangal (chopped)
- 25 g (1 ½ Tbsp) garlic (chopped)
- 120 g (¼ lb) shallots
- 50 g (1.8 oz) dried chillies
- 20 g (1 ½ Tbsp) fresh turmeric
- 225 ml (½ pint) water
- 45 g (3 Tbsp) cornflour
- 150 g (1/3 lb) cooked & mashed sweet potato
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) soy bean paste (pounded)
- 600 g (1 lb) fresh yellow noodles (blanched)
- 150 g (1/3 lb) bean sprouts (blanched)
- to taste salt
- to taste sugar
- 1 stalk celery (cut into pieces) (garnish)
- 200 g (1/2 lb) bean curd cake (diced and deep-fried) (garnish)
- 2 green chilli (sliced for garnish)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (shelled, halved for garnish)
- 20 g (1½ Tbsp) crispy shallot rings (garnish)
- 2 fresh limes (halved) (garnish)
- Thinly slice beef shin and cook over medium heat in 1.2 lt chicken stock until meat is tender, set aside.
- Finely grind galangal, garlic, shallots, dried chillies and turmeric in a mortar. Combine water, cornflour and mashed sweet potato, mix well and Set aside.
- Heat 4 Tbsp oil in wok until hot, stir-fry the ground ingredients (galangal,garlic, shallots, chili and turmeric) until fragrant. Add soy bean paste and mix well. Add chicken stock and bring to boil again. Season with sugar and salt. Stir in cornflour mixture to thicken.
- Divide noodles, Beef and bean sprouts into plates. Spoon Sauce over and the top and add all the garnishes. Serve hot.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 20 minutes.