Hokkien Prawn and Pork Noodle Soup
Type of Dish main Course
- 2 lt (4.2 pints) water
- 400 g (1 lb) medium-sized prawns
- 100 g (¼ lb) lean pork
- 600 g (1 ½ lb) pork spareribs (cut into pieces)
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) garlic (chopped)
- 500 g ( 1 ¼ lb) yellow noodles (blanched)
- 100 g (¼ lb) bean sprouts (blanched)
- 200 g (½ lb) kang kong (cut into 5cm lengths, scalded)
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) crispy shallots (for garnish)
- 2 red chillies (sliced for garnish)
- to taste chilli powder
- to taste pepper to taste
- to taste salt
- 8 (½ Tbsp) sugar
- 5 (1 tsp) dark soy sauce
- Bring water to boil, add prawns and lean pork to cook. Remove, peel off prawn heads and shells for later use. Devein prawns. Slice pork thinly. Reserve stock.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in wok until hot, Stir-fry pork spareribs until outer layer is cooked. Transfer to prawn stock. add 1 Tbsp oil in wok and stir-fry chopped garlic, prawn heads and shells till fragrant. Remove and grind coarsely, pour into prawn stock. Simmer together with pork spareribs for 1-11/2 hours. Strain and add Seasoning.
- Divided noodles and bean sprouts into bowls. Add sliced pork, prawns and kang kong. Pour prawn stock over noodles. Sprinkle with crispy shallots, sliced red chillies, chilli powder and pepper. Serve.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 50 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 45 minutes.