Type of Dish Main Course
- 2 whole chicken legs
- 400 g (1 lb) medium-sized prawns
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) vegetable oil
- 250 ml (½ pint) basic rempah
- 5 g (1 tsp) shrimp paste (belacan)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (bruised)
- 500 ml (1 pint) coconut milk
- 10 g (2 tsp) salt
- 10 g (2 tsp) sugar
- 8 pieces fried taupok tofu (thinly sliced)
- 600 g (1½ lbs) fresh yellow noodles (blanched)
- 200 g (2 cups) bean sprouts (blanched)
- 50 g (½ cup) mint leaves
- 6 calamansi limes (halved)
- Bring 1 liter of water to a boil, add 1 tsp salt, add chicken legs. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, when ready leave to cool in the cooking liquid, shred meat from bone. Set aside.
- In same pan of water, cook prawns for 5 minutes. Strain add reserved liquid. Shell prawns and set aside.
- Heat oil in wok over medium fire, add rempah and belacan and cook until mixture smells fragrant and oil separates, about 3 minutes.
- Add lemongrass and strained stock. Bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes then add coconut milk. Bring to a boil while stirring. Season with salt and sugar, and add sliced taupok tofu.
- To serve place blanched noodles and bean sprouts in a bowl. Top with prawns and chicken pour hot laksa soup over, including pieces of taupok. Garnish with mint leaves and lime.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.