Type of Dish appetizer
- 120 g (4 oz) salmon sashimi
- 120 g (4 oz) sea bass sashimi
- 120 g (4 oz) tuna sashimi
- 480 g (1 lb) cooked sushi rice
- 20 g (1/2 oz) tobiko (flying fish roe)
- 120 g (4 oz) avocado
- 8 pieces asparagus (blanched and refreshed in ice)
- 4 sheets nori seawed
- 1 bunch chives (chopped)
- 10 g (1/2 oz) wasabi
- 20 g (3/4 oz) pickled ginger
- 40 ml (1 1/2 oz) soy sauce
- Prepare sushi rice. (check my sushi rice recipe)
- Slice all the sashimi into 10g slices. Each slice should be about 2 to 3 mm thick. You should use a sharp sashimi knife to do this. Carefully lay the slices out on a tray, cover with cling film and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Place one sheet of nori on the work surface, spread 120g of cooked sushi rice onto the nori. spread it evenly. You will need to moisten your hands with a little water otherwise the sushi rice will stick all over your hands and you will have a big mess.
- Flip the nori over, with your finger spread a little wasabi paste onto the nori. Place 2 pieces of blanched asparagus on top of the nori. add 1 Tbsp of chopped chives. Roll it up.
- On top of the roll working from left to right place the sashimi slices one by one (alternating the colours.... i.e. a slice of tuna, then bass, next salmon and finely avocado. repeat the process until the roll is covered. For one rainbow roll in total I put (3 slice tuna, 3 slice bass, 3 slice salmon and 3 slice avocado.
- Using a bamboo sushi mat (wrapped in cling film),lightly press down on the sushi roll to form the shape.
- With a sharp sashimi knife, slice the roll into 8 pieces. decorate the top of the roll with tobiko (flying fish roe) serve with wasabi, pickled ginger and soy sauce.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 1 hour.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.