Black Cod in Miso
Type of Dish Fish
- 800 g (2 lb) black cod fillet (Alaskan sablefish)
- 200 g (1/2 lb) white miso
- 60 ml (6 fl oz) sake
- 60 ml (6 fl oz) mirin
- 60 g (2 oz) sugar
- 40 g (1 1/2 oz) pickled ginger)
- 20 g (3/4 oz) rice noodles (fried, for garnish)
- 15 g (1/2 oz) mixed bell pepper (cut in julienne, for garnish)
- To make den miso mix together the white miso, sake, mirin and sugar. Place in a banmarie and cook over simmering water for 30 minutes. (leave to cool)
- Cut the black cod fillet into 4 x 200g portions.
- marinate the black cod with 160g of den miso. keep the remainder of den miso to garnish the cod when it is cooked. (leave the cod to marinate refrigerated for 48 hours)
- cook the cod for 18 to 20 minutes at 180 degrees C. Serve with pickled ginger.
- You really should use black cod (Alaskan sablefish) for this recipe as it gives best results. the only other fish I would recommend would be Chilean seabass (Patagonian tooth fish) or even amberjack.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 20 hours.