Beef Sukiyaki with Shiitake Mushrooms & Udon Noodles
Type of Dish Main Course
- 500 g (1 1/4lb) Wagyu Beef Sirloin (sliced 3mm)
- 1 Bunch Block Momen Tofu (3 cm Cubes)
- 1 Bunch Chrysanthemum
- 300 g (¾ lb) Chinese Cabbage (Chopped)
- 300 g (¾ lb) Udon Noodles
- 8 Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 Large Carrot (Sliced 5mm Rounds)
- 30 g (1 oz) cube of Beef Fat
- 1 Onion (sliced 1cm thick)
- 350 ml (12 fl oz) Water
- 120 ml Dark Soy
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) Sake
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) Mirin
- 60 g (4 Tbsp) Sugar
- 4 raw eggs (for dipping-optional)
- Mix the warishita (sauce) ingredients (Water, Soy, sake,mirin and sugar) together heat up and cook for 5 minutes, cool down and reserve. Slice and prepare all the vegetables.
- Set up the Sukiyaki pot in the middle of the table on the portable burner with the flame at medium, add the beef fat, as the fat melts add the onion and carrot. next add the beef. Add about 180ml of the sauce. Next add all the vegetables and tofu. Simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. add the noodles last.
- If you don't have a Sukiyaki pot, then use a thick cast iron skillet/fry pan or a copper sauteuse. Sukiyaki is normally served for groups of guests. If you have more than 6 guests then I would add more sukiyake pots. (4 to 6 guests per hot pot). In japan as the ingredients are cooked they are shared at the table and dipped into raw egg. More vegetables and meat are added to the pot as needed.
- Goes well with cold beer or sake. This is great Japanese style party food, typically served in the cold winter months.
- Equipment: 1 Sukiyaki pot, 1 Portable gas burner (table top), 4 large dipping cups, 1 long chop sticks for cooking (or tongs)
Preparation Time is approxmiately 1 hour.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 40 minutes.