Sambal Oelek (Indonesian Red Chili Paste)
Type of Dish Sauce
- 400 g (2 cups) dried Thai chilies, boiled and chopped (or 1 1/2 cups fresh bird’s eye chilies, chopped)
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeded and diced
- 5 shallots, diced
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) ginger (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) peanut oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lime juice
- 1 lime (zested)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemongrass (chopped)
- 10 g (2 tsp) shrimp paste
- 15 g (1 tbsp) palm sugar
- 15 g (1 tbsp) water
- to taste salt
- food processor blend chilies, ginger, garlic, serrano, lime juice, lemongrass, water and shallots, Puree until about smooth.
- In a saute pan, saute the shrimp paste for 1 minute. In a bowl, combine the blended ingredients with the shrimp paste, palm sugar, lime zest, and peanut oil.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.