Beef with Sichuan Pepper
Type of Dish Main Course
- 50 ml (3 Tbsp) marinade (recipe below)
- 300 g (3/4 lb) beef sirloin(cut into strips)
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1 red chili (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (large dice)
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) shaoxing wine
- 60 g (2 oz) broccoli (cut into florets)
- 60 g (2 oz) mangetout (blanched)
- 60 g (2 oz) carrots (sliced 2mm thick)
- 60 g (2 oz) baby corn (halved)
- 300 ml (11fl oz) chicken stock
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) light soy sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) potato starch (mixed with 2 tbsp cold water)
- 1 spring onion (finely sliced)
- To taste salt
- To taste ground Sichuan pepper
- To serve steamed jasmine rice
- Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl, add the beef, mix well, leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- For the stir fry, heat a wok over medium heat and add 180ml of peanut oil. oil should be heated to about 160C. Add the marinated beef and stir-fry for two minutes.
- Transfer cooked beef to a colander and leave to drain. Clean the wok and return to the flame.
- Heat wok over a high flame, add 15ml peanut oil, red chilli, garlic and onion, stir-fry for less than a minute add a spash of shaoxing wine and a little chicken stock to prevent the garlic from burning. Add remaining vegetables and stir-fry for another minute.
- Add remaining chicken stock (about 280ml) and stir well, add light soy sauce. Bring to a simmer, add potato starch and water mixture, stir to mix thoroughly.
- Add chopped spring onion, season to taste with the salt and a pinch of ground Sichuan pepper. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 40 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 20 minutes.
- 50 ml (2 Tbsp) Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 g (3/4 tsp) Sichuan pepper (coarsely ground)
- 6 ml (1 tsp) dark Chinese soy sauce
- 1 g 1/4 tsp) Chinese five spice powder
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) potato starch
- 1 piece egg white
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl and reserve